Sunday, October 21, 2007

Armageddon Day, and OMG CCP GOT HACKED!

During the past two weeks, I've been knee-deep in RL matters, but not enough that I was not able to join in the test server's Armageddon Day event, which is basically a major stress-test/CONCORD day off day. You can probably imagine, with the lack of NPC police, "super"-ed characters, lots of high-end items seeded on the market at a piddlingly cheap 100 isk, how chaotic and full of PvP that'll entail, and since this was a stress-test, you can probably guess it was nigh-oh impossible to get on, and actually enjoy the supers and free stuff.

I've been able to test certain Amarr ships that I've tested with offline tools like EFT and Quickfit, and found them to be quite to my liking. This only strengthened my resolve in continuing for my Amarr spec training.

And on a more recent note: CCP's unannounced downtime a day or so ago as of this entry sparked huge rumormills and naysayings that CCP is in big trouble. Technically, they were, but they were smart in going incognito as they fixed the unauthorized entry into their system.

Personally, couple this with a rash of isk-seller posts all over the forums, my hypothesis points to not ingame alliances hacking the database itself to gain in the game (of which, they really need to get priorities straight if this were true. EVE's a game for cripes!), but to isk-sellers wanting to profit from easy-to-obtain items and sell them for isk, to sell for RL cash.

Of course, all speculation. The truth is that CCP nailed down the breech, and are watching carefully. I just hope authorities are called into this, and the suspect/s caught and put to trial. I believe I speak for the entire EVE playerbase when I say: We want the blood of the hacker/s, and we want it now for this atrocity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You managed to log into the test server? I was number, #1564 for hours.

Saruwatari said...

Yes, I was, for about 2 hours. I knew I was going to get booted off or something, so I worked as fast as I could to get the necessary fittings onto test ships and fly them.

Gaining experience whilst fighting with max-fitted ships is not the same as fighting in TQ, sadly enough. But at least I learnt major to-do's when fighting in turret-based ships.

Not to mention that a "realistically" fitted Abaddon will kill an Astarte. That just helps the ego, knowing such.