Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Pet Project, Update

Its been quite some time since I've mentioned about my pet project, and a lot has changed from it being an alt-to-become-main, to a continuation of my current main into something else.

This is due to RL constraints and RL influence (most in part that my significant other decided that she would like to have the character and name that I chose for the alt-turned-main).

This didnt put a wrench into my plans per se, in fact, it significantly shortened my planned skill training, considering that I already have basic ship support skills up at acceptable levels, and all I needed was a bit more in a spot or two, armor tanking skills, and the T2 weaponry for lasers to fly Amarr well.

Part of the reason why I chose Amarr, even until now, is because of "horror" stories of the Abbadon becoming a force to be reckoned with on the field.

Also part in part that, on paper (and in Quickfit/EFT), the Abbadon proves itself to be the most damaging long range BS there is (albeit the range is short for long-range combat). Combine this that the Armageddon is a feared opponent in it's own right as well...

Months of Caldari missile boat flying have worn down my skills in terms of turret ship use, which is going to prove the make-or-break factor in my plan for Amarr flying. Turret ships require quite a lot more micromanagement because of turret tracking and range issues. Reward pays off in that turrets dont have to worry about flight time unlike missiles as I've said in my previous entries.

One basic technique is to fly the same direction your target is, matching its course, being parallel to it, to reduce turret tracking problems. This also helps as well if you have range, of which Amarr hold the mid-range battle very well.

Unfortunately, most PvP in EVE happens at extreme-close-range (Gallente blaster and Mimmatar autocannon territory) or at extreme-long-range (everyone else's, Rokh as range king with rails). It doesnt mean, however, that Amarr are completely left out. It'll just prove to be harder to fly them, especially solo.

So, actual update on my Amarr plan: I'm currently training Hull Upgrades lvl5 (for T2 armor tank mods), of which to follow would be each specific damage type armor compensation skill up to lvl4, before I head to get Weapon Upgrades 5 in prep for Advanced Weapon Upgrades 4.

Quite a ways before I even start anything remotely Amarr, right? Its a long haul, and plan currently holds it at late-January to mid Febuary for T2 large laser weaponry.

Not that far off, considering that the holidays will keep me busy with RL stuff :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the final stages of making the Caldari -> Amarr jump myself. B)

Armageddon and Abaddon are wicked with a massive armor hp tank, and the extra range of lasers helps compensate for the lack of mobility, so not all is lost for mid-range weapons. You get left behind the rest of the gang a lot, though. =\

Saruwatari said...

Not if you are more "grounded" in how you base yourself in space. Normally, I fly not beyond 5j from my current base of ops, and if I do, I use a shuttle to move myself to my new one. Reason being is that:
1. Clone-jumping has a 24hr cooldown. You can imagine a lot of problems this can cause on a busy weekend when you're needed half-way across the galaxy
2. Having spare ships in different regions instead of moving ships manually means that you're out fighting sooner, and faster. Not to mention you always have a backup as well somewhere.