Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Big Q: What to do?

Okay, you've decided to give EVE a shot. You're about to go through the 14 day trial to see if EVE is for you. Well all's well and good then.

What? Dont know what to do? Well its simple, that...

What do you want to do?

No, seriously, really. EVE lets you become whatever you want to be in it's world. Be it become the most feared combat capsuleer, or the most ruthless trade mogul of EVE. Maybe be on the good side of the law hunting pirates, or become the yarr-shouting pirate. Be a peaceful miner, mining the good resources of EVE, or become the manufacturer, using the resources to fuel the largest war machine known to EVE. Become the sneakiest intelligence agent with your covert-ops ship, cloaked and giving intel to your corporation as to enemy movements, or become the corageous fleet commander, leading your fleet to victory and glory.

The choices are limitless.

One good thing about EVE is that the character creation process helps you along your path in deciding what to be. Listen to Aura, the ship computer, as she guides you in your decisions. There's always a need for anyone skilled in whatever field there is in EVE, so you'll never be left out if you look.

Also, its best to do some research beforehand before deciding on what to do. The EVE Forums, especially the Skills section are where you should go. Dont take the advice of going all-learning right off the bat. Do that when you've decided on a profession path you want to take, and train for it.

Heck, I've gone through a total of 13 trials before I decided I wanted to be a combat capsuleer. Yes, you heard me right, thirteen different trial accounts with thirteen different characters I tested out and enjoyed.

Did I learn from my thirteen trials? Yes I did. Did I find stuff that dissapointed me? Yes I have. EVE has a place for everyone, but does not have a place for immaturity and stupidity. You will be punished by this game if you dont use your brains. Even I mess up at times and it costed me months of work, but I cant blame the guy who shot me. I have to blame myself for not checking on the map for recent combat activity, or asked/hired a scout to scout for me, or created an alt specifically to scout (an alt is another character you can have, but isnt trained, somewhat disposable in use, some use trial account characters as alt scouts, disposable.).

You see, there are options to play smart in EVE, and it rewards you greatly if you do. This is why I've kept on EVE, even after all the dissapointments, the lag, the lost ships from combat and the smacktalk (though of which i enjoy some of it). EVE will reward you, if you put in the effort.

So, you up to it?

No comments: