Sunday, August 26, 2007

Greetings to the world

Good day to one and all. Welcome to Odd Pod Out. Unusual title, yes, but there's a meaning behind it. More on that later.

First off, this is my first ever blog, and its about the first ever MMOG that I actually learnt to love: EVE Online. I have been playing this MMO for the better part of the past year, and I've seen many things that both keep me coming back, and throw me away.

The reason why I made this blog is that as time went on in my gaming in EVE, I've realized that I am an odd one out of the majority in EVE: I'm asian player playing a Western-market-targetted MMO, with a largely US/Euro playerbase. Sure not counting the "gold farmers" aka isk sellers as we call them ingame (and the racial bias of them being Chinese or something).

My idea and goal in this blog is basically to introduce more from this slice of the world into a great game, EVE Online. Also, I'm a bit of a thinker, so I may go off on major tangents about my gaming experience, so if you plan to read, please be considerate :)

First off, yes I'm a legitimate player, have been for the past year, and yes I may not know everything about MMO culture, EVE ingame mechanics nor the other intricacies of the playerbase. I am, of course, just one podpilot amongst many, and yet the odd one out.

As you can see on my profile, I'm a Filipino. Rare to see a "pinoy" player (often found in "free" MMO's talking to other pinoys in their native tongue or an algamation of English and Tagalog, Tag-lish.) in a P2P MMO. For me, this is both a non-issue and the critical issue in my intended blogging as time goes on. As another gamer, nationality doesnt matter much, cept for language barriers (which, default to English for obvious reasons), but as a Filipino, it is a big thing. Why do I, a pinoy gamer, find myself in an MMO that many would consider the harshest "game world" to exist in the MMO market?

Simple: I like it rough (and no, no innuendo's out of you!).

No, seriously, I do. Games are meant to be fun, and it just so happens I find fun to include the harsh realities of playing EVE and the chance that I may lose months, if not my entire year's worth, of work if I'm not careful. It keeps me on my toes, and gives excitement that is only rivaled by real-life activities like, say, skydiving or something.

This doesnt make me a "griefer" though (griefers are basically people who derive pleasure by ruining the fun factor of others in a game). I quite actually despise em, and yet they are part and parcel of real life, let alone EVE, which is meant to be a game world, with the same ups and downs you'd see in real life. Its just that real life "griefers" are often caught and imprisoned/killed/ousted by society because
it is real life, with real consequences. EVE, however, gets very close to that analogy.

Well, thats a very extensive first post from me. I wish you well and thank you for reading this first post from this odd podpilot out of many. Good day.

1 comment:

CrazyKinux said...

Eh there, fellow EVE Online player. I've added your blog to my EVE blogroll since you seem to be dedicated and regular in your post entries.

Fly safe!